Berge Revne and his son Harold in a dugout canoe.

Berge Revne and his son Harold in a dugout canoe.

 On December 17, 1900, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, led by K.O. Lundeberg, representatives from five independent congregations came together to prayerfully form the Church of the Lutheran Brethren.

 

This provided a fellowship of believers with likeminded theological convictions an opportunity to do together what could not be done alone. Less than two years later, Reinholt and Juline Kilen set foot on Chinese soil as our first missionaries.

Communism eventually closed the doors to mission work in China, but the vision to share the Gospel with unreached people groups continued.

 

CLBA Office Building_0007.jpg
Founding leader K.O. Lundeberg with his family.

Founding leader K.O. Lundeberg with his family.

1900-1920

 

  • Reinholt and Juline Kilen began mission work in China in 1902.
  • Lutheran Bible School opened its doors on November 2, 1903.

 

Reinholt and Juline Kilen with daughter Martha.

Reinholt and Juline Kilen with daughter Martha.

1921-1940

  • Berge and Herborg Revne were granted permission to begin mission work in Yagoua, Cameroon in 1923.
  • J.I. and Sophie Kaardal began mission work among the Mundang people in Lere, Chad in 1923.
  • March 20, 1927, the first Mundang adult and his three year old daughter were baptized.

 

 

1941-1960

 

  • Missionary Morris Werdal held his first open service in Sakata, Japan on October 10, 1949.
  • In April, 1952, Miss Karoline Oudal and Pastor C.W. Tu left for Taiwan as missionaries.
  • The Board of Home Missions was established in 1954 and church planting blossomed.

 

Missionaries Michael and Delores Kittelson in Taiwan with Hakka friends.

Missionaries Michael and Delores Kittelson in Taiwan with Hakka friends.

1961-1980

 

  • The Churches in Cameroon and Chad became independent Church bodies in the 1960s.
  • Sharpening and focusing the effectiveness of its teaching and training, Lutheran Brethren Seminary approved the Bachelor of Divinity program in 1966 and added the Master of Divinity program in 1975.

 

1981-Today

  • In 1997 the last of our LB missionaries left Cameroon after nearly 80 years of ministry there. 
  • The 2009 Convention divided the CLB into five Regions and created the Regional Pastor positions.
  • In November 2012, Lutheran Brethren Seminary was granted full accreditation status by the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools.